News

California winner of half Mega Millions jackpot still unknown

California winner of half Mega Millions jackpot still unknown

WINNING TICKET: The holder of the second winning ticket in the $648 Mega Millions jackpot has not come forward yet. Photo: Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The owner of the second winning ticket in the Mega Millions lottery remained a mystery on Thursday, one day after a Georgia woman came forward to collect her share of the estimated total jackpot of $648 million.

California Lottery officials said that whoever bought the winning ticket at a gift shop in San Jose had so far not staked out a claim.

The jackpot was the second largest in U.S. lottery history, just short of the record U.S. jackpot of $656 million won in a March 2012 Mega Millions drawing. The winning numbers for Tuesday’s drawing were 8, 14, 17, 20, 39 and 7.

“It’s pretty common for people to take time to come forward,” California Lottery spokesman Greg Parashak said, adding often winners want to consult with financial advisers or an attorney first.

On Wednesday, 56-year-old Ira Curry of the Atlanta suburb of Stone Mountain came forward to claim her half of Tuesday’s Mega Millions jackpot.

Curry bought the ticket on Friday at an Atlanta newsstand, using a mix of family birthdays and the lucky number 7, and claimed her prize at the state’s lottery headquarters. She chose to receive a lump-sum cash payment of $173.8 million after taxes, lottery officials said.

She could have opted for a larger annuity sum that would have been paid out over 30 years.

The other winning ticket was sold at a retail location called Jennifer’s Gift Shop on Tully Road in San Jose, according to Alex Traverso, a California lottery official. The shop is owned by Thuy Nguyen, who, according to the San Jose Mercury News, took over the business four months ago.

Under California’s lottery rules, Nguyen will receive a $1 million cash bonus for selling a winning ticket. Georgia lottery retailers earn a flat 6 percent commission based on sales but receive no bonuses for winning tickets sold at their location.

Meanwhile, California lottery officials said that someone who purchased a ticket in the state’s separate SuperLotto Plus drawing had won $50 million by picking all six winning numbers. That winner, who bought his or her ticket at a market in Los Alamitos, California had also not yet come forward.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis and Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Leslie Gevirtz)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: July 29

benjerrys

A look back at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Music

Concert-goes hospitalized during Keith Urban show

Keith Urban arrives at the 56th annual GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center on Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014, in Los Angeles.

Things got a bit crazy at Keith Urban's Massachusetts show on Saturday night.

in Music

The Beatles wanted to film ‘Lord of the Rings’

FILE- This is a 1967 handout image from Parlophone of The British group, The Beatles,. From left, are: Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Paul McCartney; and George Harrison. The woman who as a child was the basis for the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is gravely ill. It was thought by many at the time that the psychedelic song from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band was a paean to LSD because of the initials in the title, but it was actually based on a drawing that John Lennon's young son Julian brought home from school. He told his father the drawing was of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Lucy Vodden, now living in Surrey just outside of London _ drifted apart after schoolyard days, but they have gotten back in touch as Lennon has tried to help Vodden cope with Lupus, a life-threatening disease.

Peter Jackson reveals John Lennon could have played Gollum in a Stanley Kubrick directed LOTR adaptation.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.